TAKE YOU PLACES.
This is a high profile role in one of our key strategic growth categories in a high growth retailer across our three key markets – Air, Rail & Hospitals. We’ve got really ambitious plans as a business and that’s no different in Food.
Reporting into the Head of Buying you’ll take a leadership role within the Chilled Food To Go Team, taking the lead on executing our strategy within chilled, owning our Meal Deal proposition and buying our Sandwiches, Salads, Sushi and Premium Mains range, with opportunities for line management and mentoring.
Based in the heart of London (Aldgate) with hybrid working and an expectation that you travel to visits stores and suppliers regularly.
If you are ambitious, creative, resourceful and organised this is a great opportunity to take ownership of your own product area – you will be the key decision maker with the autonomy to deliver your own category strategy and a support structure to enable you to succeed.
WHSmith Travel is a fast moving business focussed on people development where talented individuals progress quickly within UK Travel and within the wider group with opportunities in the UK and internationally.
At WHSmith our people are at the heart of everything we do. They are the ones that go the extra mile for our customers. The ones that enable our growth. That’s why our Commercial team is passionate about creating an environment where people can be creative and trailblazing in order to do their best work.
What you will be doing
• Own and report on your category KPIs
• Manage your range & supplier base – sourcing the best products and suppliers to deliver against your key commercial KPIs and our brand quality expectations
• Define and deliver the pricing and promotional strategy for your category
• Continually generate new opportunities to create value within the category through range, price, promotion, marketing and negotiated improvements
• Lead on negotiations for pricing, contracts, terms and joint business plans
• Manage your supplier base through Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly supplier review meetings
• Work within a cross functional project team to develop and deliver trials and new propositions within coffee and hot food
What we are looking for
• Previous food service/food buying/commercial experience
• Computer literate - experience using Microsoft Office (Excel and PowerPoint)
• Great at relationships & influencing
• Excited about negotiation and product
• Thrives in a fast paced environment
• Good with numbers and understanding customers
• Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills
• Proactive and resourceful
• Great team player
About usCelebrating 230 years, we’re proud to have grown and evolved into a globally recognised brand present in over 30 countries around the world, and we’re proud to be that air of familiarity people love and trust on their journey, both in life and through life. As a diverse group of over 12,000 colleagues, we are all on the same journey to a better business through our commitments to our planet, people and the communities we serve.WHSmith are proud to be an inclusive employer, we want our colleagues to feel welcome, and free to be themselves with us.
Our UK Travel office is based in a buzzing part of central London close to Liverpool Street Station. We are an ambitious team that thrives on pace, collaboration and innovation resulting in a real entrepreneurial culture. It’s perfect for people who are happy to use their initiative and embrace life outside their comfort zone.
We strive to be outward-facing and customer-focused:
an organisation that keeps its promises. Living our four key values is an important part of achieving this aim.
We keep the customer at the heart of all that we do.
Value Our People
Our people are respected and valued in an honest, open environment.
Drive for Results
We push ourselves to achieve ambitious and competitive results – delivered with pace.
We take personal responsibility and deliver what we say we will.