As a Post Office Counter Manager in our Lichfield Store, we want you to put your ’stamp’ (pun intended) on your Post Office within a WH Smith store. You’ll motivate and inspire your team of counter assistants to provide exceptional customer service, meet business goals and ensure the security of both cash and postal items. We want you and our colleagues to be proud that we’re a part of our customers’ journey through life, from our digital passport service and pre-paid money cards for first holidays, to a hand-written letter telling someone they come first.
What being a Post Office Counter Manager is all about:
- Creating a customer service led culture which is always seeking to improve performance and to deliver a professional, friendly service to all customers
- Getting involved with the store team to maximise opportunities to grow sales and increase footfall throughout the Post Office and Store
- Ensuring the branch is fully compliant with current legislation and Post Office Ltd. compliance and training requirements
- Guiding and inspiring the team to achieve both personal and branch targets including sales, shrink, waste, cash loss and staff costs in an environment that encourages growth and inclusivity
- Working closely with the Cluster Manager to identify cost savings and sales opportunities through consideration of the Profit & Loss statement
- Supporting the Cluster Manager with employee lifecycle from recruitment to appraisals, training and disciplinary procedures
What our Post Office Team would love to see:
- Retail (or similar) experience in a management or leadership role, preferably with experience of dealing with financial products or high-value cash transactions
- Experience in supporting delivery of store goals, including maximising sales, controlling shrink and knowledge of P&L accounts
- Previous experience of working to and achieving stretching targets within tight budgets
- Ability to coach and mentor the team to improve performance
- Experience of proactively leading from the front, getting stuck in, and helping your team on the shop floor
How we reward our teams:
We know you’ll work hard to make WHSmith a success and keep our customers happy, so as well as your salary, pension scheme, holidays (Management - 33 days including bank holidays) and employee discounts (up to 50%), we’ll reward you with a range of deals from retail partners that will help you save money and make memories, whether a delicious meal, an adventurous day out, or tickets to see the latest blockbuster.
Whatever the future brings, our Employee Assistance Programme will support you with help and guidance for your wellbeing whether physical, mental or financial.
WHSmith has a remarkable heritage and we have occupied our place as the Hub of the High Street and in our customers’ hearts for 230 years. But this doesn’t mean that we’re resting on our laurels – Our stores work hard to make customer and colleague journeys in life possible, marking the milestones with cards and gifts, providing escape and education with our books, and communication and currency in our Post Office Stores.
WHSmith are proud to be an inclusive employer, we want our colleagues to feel welcome, and free to be themselves with us.
We strive to be outward-facing and customer-focused:
an organisation that keeps its promises. Living our four key values is an important part of achieving this aim.
We keep the customer at the heart of all that we do.
Value Our People
Our people are respected and valued in an honest, open environment.
Drive for Results
We push ourselves to achieve ambitious and competitive results – delivered with pace.
We take personal responsibility and deliver what we say we will.